About us

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Grow Boxes of all shapes and sizes

Diana- I am trying raised bed gardening this year and since I didn't want to invest a few hundred dollars into it, I came up with these different ideas. My first idea was after I found some old galvanized steel laying about and decided to make it into a growing box. They were actually pretty easy since the steel sheets had been laying out in the weather for about 30 years anyway and were all pretty much the same size. I used some wood 2"X2" natural wood to have some posts to attach the steel sheets to. I used little screws and a powerdrill to put them together. And, bam. easy peasy grow box. They are about 30" square which makes them easy to move and put about anyplace in the garden. Plus, since its natural wood, not treated, its easier to keep up with the whole Organic thing.

I found some smalled steel sheets that I used to make some flower boxes, and I used one for my Herb Garden which hopefully will be as cool as useful in cooking summer stuff. I spraypainted the outsides of those a dark bronze color and fitted a bottom to them. It wasn't anymore work then the others and has the same benfits. Any kind of sheet of wood or steel would work the same. Cost is about 5 dollars a growbox with the steel sheets I got free.

My next grow box attempt is underway. Today I tilled up the ground and used old wire cages, part of them anyway, to form the sides. I staked them wire fencing stuff down with wooden stakes and next I am going to cover the insides with landscaping fabric. I will fill it with dirt most of the way and then we'll see how that one works.

My plants did come up earlier in the raised beds I made this year, but I have problems keeping the dirt in place and with weeding, so I'm hoping that these growboxes will solve those issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment