About us

Monday, June 21, 2010

Grow Boxes of all shapes and sizes part 2

























Wow, I don't think I've ever dug that much dirt! I did add about 7 bags of composted steer manure, which FYI, don't leave in the sun cause wow, does it stink to open a hot bag of compost! It is so much better to plant in a raised bed, so much time off. I do like making the raised bed out of the fencing and the weed blocker. It was really a quick easy way to make a big bed. It is a bit wavey since its old used stuff I found, but it worked great.

My raised beds worked great, but the dirt falls down the sides and I could only plant on about 2/3'rds of the bed since the sides slant so much. But it makes weeding a bit easier since I trample between the beds and it helps keep the weeds from growing. My tomatoes in my growbox are a lot bigger then the ones I put straight into the ground, and are already flowering. My corn is not doing much...

Next I'm trying out Lizzy's idea of a teabag fertilizer to keep my garden more organic..





No comments:

Post a Comment